Posted on December 27th 2016
The BC Weekly Business Report: September 14th 2016
The legendary Gary Bizzo from The Bizzo Management Group and Vancouverentrepreneur.ca provides you with The BC Weekly Business Report. On what’s going on in our Province. Every week we bring you all up to date with new ventures, investment opportunities, start ups, technology, business activities and who’s doing what when it comes highlighting local BC entrepreneurs. All this great weekly business news will inform or may even inspire you to get involved, contact, network or even expand or start your own business. Enjoy the show! Episode #13 Vancouver Entrepreneur:Download this episode (right click and save) More about startups in BC but today it’s mainly about Vancouver based ones.
- 1) Vancouver’s Ayogo is taking the world by storm; the health-tech startup recently raised $2.5 million from investors! Ayogo makes games for patients with chronic conditions where players take on missions and are rewarded for real-life decision that improve their health. More about it in Business in Vancouver.
- 2) Skype and Facetime better beware – Perch’s always-on video messaging service has entered the building. The software is being adopted by hundreds of companies around the world because unlike services like Skype or Facetime, Perch doesn’t require a call — you can just walk up to it and start talking so it’s perfect for connecting with remote business partners or elderly parents and relatives. Read all about it in this Vancouver Sun article.
- 3) FrontFundr is a financial services firm that combines compliance technology and digital media, under existing investment legislation, to give investors ready access to stringently screened, market ready businesses—prepared and guided from business pitch to deal completion. In other words they provide the investor community with only the highest quality deals and offer them on their website. I’ve had a couple of clients on this platform and it is worthwhile looking at.
- 4) Ronin8 Technologies These guys won the 2016 Most Promising Pre-Commercial Technology at the BC Tech Association awards Ronin8 has a way to change the world by solving the problem of electronic waste, mine tailings and more. They use a combination of electromagnets, water and lots of sonic vibration to separate out all materials, including precious metals, from e-waste – particularly circuit boards.Sounds simple. And it is. But only because they happen to own the rights to several proprietary technologies,
- 5) Clio offers all you need to run a law practice from intake to invoice, with powerful features to manage cases, clients, documents, bills, appointments, time-tracking, reporting, and accounting. These guys were the BCTIA ANNOUNCES TECHNOLOGY IMPACT AWARD FINALISTS for Best Company this year.
- 6) Digital gift card supplier Buyatab, founded by BBA alumnus Matias Marquez, won the Excellence in Product Innovation category. Since founding Buyatab in 2011 while he was still studying at the Beedie School of Business, Marquez has grown the organization into a world leader, with a global client list that includes Fairmont, Four Season, Cineplex, Whole Foods Market, and Winners
- 7) Have you ever been on a special vacation and returned home disappointed with the photos you captured – or worse, missing from all of them? Flytographer is a community of carefully chosen local photographers who will meet you at iconic locations in Rome, Paris, NYC, or any of a 190 locations worldwide. Walk the streets with them as they take beautiful candid photos of you and your family and friends. Learn their insider tips on what to eat, see, and do; discover cool pockets of the city you’d never find alone. Receive a digital gallery of photos delivered in 5 days, starting at $250 USD for 30 minutes.
- 8) Silkstart is association management software. It helps make the decision making process easier for you, they took some insights from a recent Capterra survey. In it, Capterra surveyed associations to determine a) the top things associations look for when picking a software solution for the first time, and b) the top things associations look for when they consider switching software vendors. Silkstart combined these into a single list and elaborated on how SilkStart addresses each of them.
This Week in Events*Remember Vancouver Startup Week starts September 26- 30 and there are a great number of events and lectures around the city.
- 1) Building a tech company in Vancouver, BuyatabLocation: Brain Station – 1110 Hamilton Street #410Date/Time: Thursday, September 15th | 6:00 PMBuyatab is a leading international provider of digital gift cards with hundreds of clients, including Whole Foods Market, Cineplex, Fairmont Hotels and Tim Hortons. Join the COO, Matias Marquez as he shares insights into how Buyatab has built a tech community in Vancouver!What You’ll LearnMatias’s storyHow to transition from idea to businessHow to sell to investorsThe importance of people and culture and Traps to avoid and lessons learned
- 2) The Wave Business Association InaugurationThis will be hosted at H.R. MacMillan Space Centre located at 1100 Chestnut Avenue in Vancouver.At The WAVE, we foster a collaborative environment where members intentionally help each other launch and grow their businesses. Free interactive mentorships, workshops curtail to our members’ needs, products & services display and presentation, group activities for bounding, community services, and P2P lending are just some of the benefits you will receive as a member. After meetings, there is always time for networking over a drink or two.Location: H.R. MacMillan Space Centre 1100 Chestnut Avenue in Vancouver.Date/time: September 20th 2016 | 6:00PM
- 3) How Millionaires Manage Their Time And Achieve Maximum Personal Productivity with Dan LokWednesday, September 14, 2016 6:00 PM to 9:30 PM The Vancouver Club915 West Hastings Street, V6C 1C6, Vancouver, BC• How to stop being overwhelmed and stressed out with your business• Which tasks are high pay-off and which are lower pay-off (This one piece of information is worth thousands of dollars alone!)• The #1 ticking time bomb that could eventually kill your business and chances are you’re doing it and you don’t even realize it!• Why much of time management advice doesn’t really apply to running your business• How to know which business tasks you should stop doing and which to do more of so you increase productivity.