The legendary Gary Bizzo from The Bizzo Management Group and Vancouverentrepreneur.ca provides you with The BC Weekly Business Report. On what’s going on in our Province. Every week we bring you all up to date with new ventures, investment opportunities, start ups, technology, business activities and who’s doing what when it comes highlighting local BC entrepreneurs. All this great weekly business news will inform or may even inspire you to get involved, contact, network or even expand or start your own business. Enjoy the show!
Episode #7 Vancouver Entrepreneur:
Download this episode (right click and save)
There is a lot of interest lately for the amount of hi tech businesses in Vancouver that are reaching world-class status.
1) Microsoft took over the former Eatons Store on West Georgia Street, Vancouver’s main drag. About a block away Amazon is installing 1,000 high-tech employees in the Telus Garden, a new head office for a telco that is, itself, a tech giant, with 7,000 employees in Metro Vancouver, including 1,200 in the downtown core; 700 of them will work at this new location.
According to a recent KPMG report commissioned by the BC Technology Industry Association, B.C. boasts 9,000 high-tech companies that together generate more than $15 billion in direct economic impact
2) Saltworks manufactures and delivers desalination and wastewater treatment plants. They treat the worlds’ most complex wastewaters and brines. I’ve seen these systems and they are small enough to go anywhere.
3) Strutta’s DIY Promotion Builder allows people to launch contests and sweepstakes on Facebook, Instagram, microsites, and iframes. Their social management dashboard provides you with the insight to help you better understand how your participants are engaging with your brand.
4) Wishpond is the world’s easiest marketing platform for generating, managing and nurturing leads. Wishpond’s mission is to make it easy for marketers to grow their business.
Wishpond’s marketing platform includes tools for landing pages, social promotions, website popups, online forms, lead activity tracking, lead management, lead intelligence, marketing automation, email marketing and marketing analytics. And with native integrations with leading sales, payment, analytics and collaboration apps, Wishpond is the complete platform for marketers.
5) SHOEme is one of Canada’s fastest growing ecommerce companies. As well as offering more than 480 brands, of shoes online they’re harnessing new technology and people-power to curate a refined collection of shoes.
6) Weddingful: Summer is halfway done but weddings are in full swing. If you are planning one in the future this is the website to go to. Weddingful’s mission is to connect you with your best wedding vendors and their information, in the most efficient and convenient way possible.
7) Everyone is looking to find an affordable and responsible way to invest in the years prior to retirement and for financial security. A new Vancouver-based company, ModernAdvisor recently announced that it has closed a $2.2 million financing round, led by notable Vancouver businessmen Moray Keith and Jim Bond. ModernAdvisor’s mission is to bring low-cost, high-quality, and transparent investment management to all Canadians, regardless of their account size. They stay away from funds that pay a commission, look for low fees and are very transparent.
Copypants helps protect your entire library of images automatically. No more worrying about how your work is used. No more legal documents.Focus on the business of creating and selling and let Copypants deal with theft.
Copypants syncs your images automatically from your favorite places online and looks for copies of them online.
This Week’s Events:
1) The BCIC-New Ventures Competition Awards Ceremony will kickoff Vancouver Startup Week.
Join them on September 26th for the conclusion to the 16th edition of the BCIC-New Ventures Competition. Over $300,000 in prizes will be on the line as the top ventures vie for the top spot. Additional sector-specific prizes will be awarded to eligible members of the top 25.
Date: Sept 26th, 2016
2) 3 steps to becoming a super-confident public speaker, by Lucas Mattiello
Export Tell a friend Share
Tuesday, August 9, 2016
6:00 PM to 9:15 PM
G&F Financial Group’s Mount Pleasant Branch
2949 Main Street, Vancouver, BC (map)
3) Boost Your Sales by Winning Each Prospect’s Faith & Trust, by Dr. Kevin Orieux
Tue Aug 16
CAD12.00 per person
G&F Financial Group
2941 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC (map)
Casey A. Miller, President of 6 ½ Consulting has 15+ years of business experience including roles of CEO, VP Business Development, and VP Strategy. And he is on a mission: to create thriving workplaces, relationships, and communities where people value
Doug Anderson, widely known as “DA” is the owner of DA Top Talent. Doug has helped over 500 hundred business owners over the past 35 years. His passion is to provide world-class business advisory services for entrepreneurs and business owners
Adam Steele at age 22, with no previous business experience, left his day job to chase the dream of business ownership. He started out by peddling Gmail address’ by the bundle. Today, he leads a team of 30+, remote team
Praveen Varshney has been a principal of Varshney Capital Corp., a Vancouver based merchant banking, venture capital and corporate advisory services firm, since 1991. He is a director or officer of various publicly traded companies including Mogo and Hempco Food
Arran Stephens was born in 1944 and was raised on Vancouver Island. His parents pioneered sustainable farming in the 1950’s and advised Arran to “leave the earth better than you found it.” After pursuing art and having several successful exhibitions
Today we are with Terry McBride who is the current CEO of YYoga and one of the three founding members of the Nettwerk Music Group, which includes Nettwerk Productions (independent record label), Nettwerk Management (artist and producer management), Nettwerk One