Posted on December 27th 2016
The BC Weekly Business Report: July 12th 2016
The legendary Gary Bizzo from The Bizzo Management Group and Vancouverentrepreneur.ca provides you with The BC Weekly Business Report. On what’s going on in our Province. Every week we bring you all up to date with new ventures, investment opportunities, start ups, technology, business activities and who’s doing what when it comes highlighting local BC entrepreneurs. All this great weekly business news will inform or may even inspire you to get involved, contact, network or even expand or start your own business. Enjoy the show!Episode #5 Vancouver Entrepreneur:Download this episode (right click and save)
- 1) BC Innovation CouncilWhether you’re a technology startup or an established business looking to scale or expand to new markets,– BC Venture Acceleration program provides coaches and mentors– Can provide an Executive in Residence– Apply for up to $300k in funding to accelerate the commercialization of new technologies– Get access to potential customers, partners, and key decision makers in larger markets
- 2) Cloudhead GamesDenny and Tracey Unger operate Cloudhead Games’ offices in Qualicum Beach. They are vastly different than the crammed spaces of Vancouver’s tech incubators.Their VR game The Gallery is already being hailed as one of the top VR experiences available on devices such as the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive. Founded in 2013, the company has grown from a staff of three working in a garage to a team of almost 20 people. Many came from triple-A studios including BioWare, Electronic Arts and Disney.
- 3) IRAP & SR&EDThrough programs such as Canada’s Industrial and Research Assistance Program sponsored by the NRC, (IRAP) and Scientific Research and Experimental Development (SR&ED), a lot of companies get reimbursed for investing in their companies. The government really supports small high tech business with these incentives.
- 4) Linquet This is the first cloud-based anti-loss solution for phones and valuables. Using Bluetooth, Linquet can be added to your phone through the free app. When your phone or an item fall out of range, both of them will sound an alarm, immediately alerting users and preventing them from losing or misplacing their phone, keys, wallet, tablets, bikes, pets, kids, etc.
- 5) PicaticOne of my companies use this service. Unlike Eventbrite and others, this is A free event booking system for non-paid events. These folks believe that when companies Absorb the service fees, it minimizes their profits or they Pass the service fees onto the ticket buyers, resulting in fewer people going to events.
- 6) BenchThese guys combine proprietary software with a professional bookkeeping team that prepares your financials for you. Each month, your Bench bookkeepers would work off of your business’s bank and credit card statements to create a cash-basis, tax-ready income statement and balance sheet. The product offering is only in the US.Canadian expansion is, of course, a goal of ours but at this time the complexity of Canadian tax regulations has halted our progress. We need to step back and regroup in order to be able to offer the same level of service to Canada that we currently offer to the US.They were accepted into the 2012 class of Techstars NYC, rasied 20 million and then moved to Vancouver.
- 7) Bluebat GamesBased in Vancouver, BlueBat Games was founded in 2011 by video game industry veterans Kenny Huang and Tim Harris. Kenny was in my incubator for a year then was selected as one of five start-ups to take part in tech accelerator GrowLab’s 2012 Accelerator Program.In 2015, BlueBat Games was acquired by Austrian online gaming powerhouse Greentube, and are currently hard at work on Greentube Pro, a white label social casino platform providing best-in-breed features for maximum brand experience and player loyalty. Through this industry-leading product, online and mobile players can stay connected to their favourite casinos any time they’re ready to have fun.Greentube Pro’s white label social casino platform is changing the casino industry! Now, online and mobile players can stay connected to their favourite casino brands any time they’re ready to have fun.
Business Events going on in Vancouver:
- 1) Greater Vancouver Board of Trade: Young Professionals Summer SocialThe sunshine has arrived! The Company of Young Professionals (CYP) Program is pleased to host this year’s summer social at the Port of Vancouver Discovery Centre.Wednesday, July 13, 20166:00 PMLocation:Port of Vancouver Discover Centre999 Canada PlaceVancouverPlease contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about how you and others under 35 can engage in CYP.
- 2) How to Create and Deliver Effective Presentations, by Marian LewandowskiLearn to create and deliver powerful, effective presentations, where the audience remembers and understands your key messages. This presentation will show you how to do that; stand out from the crowd and deliver your best presentation yet.Tuesday, July 19, 20166:00 PM to 9:15 PMG&F Financial Group2941 West Broadway, Vancouver, BC (map) 3) Three proven ways to double your sales closing ratio, by David SimpsonUnderstand how customers pick a preferred supplier, and how they move through the sales cycle. Using these three ideas has been shown in independent studies to more than double the average sales person’s success ratio!Tuesday, July 26, 20166:00 PM to 9:15 PMYWCA Hotel733 Beatty Street, Vancouver, BC