Posted on December 27th 2016
The BC Weekly Business Report: October 4th 2016
The legendary Gary Bizzo from The Bizzo Management Group and Vancouverentrepreneur.ca provides you with The BC Weekly Business Report. On what’s going on in our Province. Every week we bring you all up to date with new ventures, investment opportunities, start ups, technology, business activities and who’s doing what when it comes highlighting local BC entrepreneurs. All this great weekly business news will inform or may even inspire you to get involved, contact, network or even expand or start your own business. Enjoy the show!Episode #16 Vancouver Entrepreneur:Download this episode (right click and save)We had a great time during Vancouver Startup Week. After the Inspire event put on by Small Business BC on Thursday night I admit I was done. The Small Business BC event was the premier event marking October as Small Business Month in BC.
- 1) I’ve seen some amazing businesses over the past week so here we go. The Fintec (Financial Technology) forum was a little dry when they spoke about interbank settlement issues and blockchain but it revealed a very robust software industry in Vancouver dealing with financial issues.
- 2) Cassia, just out of beta mode recently raised $200k. They have as they call it, democratized the science of investment. They are the World’s First Investment Management SaaS Web Platform Built For Investment Advisors.They help investment advisors pinpoint risk in real-time, and conquer market volatility by giving them the same tools used by the largest and smartest hedge funds. With risk forecasting, risk targeting, and volatility position sizing, readily available on the cloud, Cassia becomes every advisor’s Chief Risk Officer, at a fraction of the cost.
- 3) BTL Interbit, This first of its kind blockchain (the control system for bitcoin digital currency) based cross-border settlement solution offers forward thinking banks a unique opportunity to explore the numerous benefits offered by blockchain technology and smart contracts. They recently signed a development deal with Visa.
- 4) Ready Mobile App, is the smartest way to pay at restaurants! No need to wait for your server to bring you the bill—now you can review the bill on your phone when you want, press pay and cruise on out. Save time and keep all your dining receipts in one place.
- 5) Ready to Rocket is a unique business recognition list that profiles B.C. technology companies with the greatest potential for revenue growth. Sponsored by Rocket Builders, a respected management consulting firm servicing the technology industry. On the list:
- 6) General Fusion Inc., named to the Global Cleantec 100, has an approach that has a clear and practical path to commercially-viable and competitive power generation uses a sphere, filled with molten lead-lithium that is pumped to form a vortex. On each pulse, magnetically-confined plasma is injected into the vortex. Around the sphere, an array of pistons impact and drive a pressure wave into the centre of the sphere, compressing the plasma to fusion conditions.
- 7) Cooledge Lighting, recently won the 2016 Lighting Design Awards. Cooledge has developed a significant portfolio of intellectual property. The company holds more than 78 issued patents covering LED technology, circuit design, and controls technology.
- 8) Snug Vest Corp, is a therapeutic product for individuals with autism, sensory processing disorder or anxiety. Snug Vest inflates to provide adjustable and evenly-distributed pressure to the torso for a comforting hug-like squeeze without pressure placed on the stomach or chest. The Founder Lisa Fraser worked with special needs children for 8 years and is passionate about developing products that make a difference in people’s lives.
- 9) Bionic Power makes wearable technology for charging batteries. Today, they are focused on developing the PowerWalk® Kinetic Energy Harvester for military use and will begin multi-unit field trials with the U.S. Army and U.S. Marine Corps next year.
This week in events:
1) How to build a 4-figure Twitter following in 30 days or less by Wendy McClellandTuesday, October 4, 20166:00 PM to 9:15 PMSpacekraft#201-4501 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC (map)Wendy McClelland how to build your Twitter following FAST! On May 12 She started a new Twitter account @WendyGetsSocial – on June 12 she had 1,364 followers! Wendy didn’t buy ads or use any promotion services. This is all ORGANIC growth using strategies that take only about 20 minutes a day.
- 2) Build winning sales performance: How to map and optimize your sales funnel process. Date/time: October 5th 2016|5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (PDT)Location: Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre4584 Blackcomb WayWhistler, BC V0N 1B4At this first Whistler Open Forum event of the 2016/17 season, International Speaker & Author Shane Gibson will show you how to design a winning sales process to maximize your sales opportunities. Over the past 20 + years, Shane has helped organizations on four continents boost their sales performance.The processes taught in his program have been successfully implemented by a wide variety of organizations — from start-ups, entrepreneurs, and non-profits, right up to large Fortune 500 enterprises such as Ford Motor Corporation, CMHC, and dozens of others.CanadaDate/time: October 5th 2016|5:30 PM to 8:00 PM (PDT)
- 3) Applying Business Model Canvas Design – Part 1 Prototype betterLocation: The Baumann Centre for Pacific Opera – 925 Balmoral Rd, Victoria, BC V8T 1A7 Date/Time: Friday, 7 October 2016 from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PMThe half-day seminar will show how to facilitate business model canvas. You will find a process that is one part dreaming big and another part being rigorous. The seminar further offers a deep dive into the business model canvas method, with tips to view competitors, learn about customers, increase your value proposition understanding and manage the process and guide your team to collaborate better.